Labiaplasty: Trim or wedge?Leave a Comment »
Labiaplasty is one of the most sought-after surgical procedures in the US today. Women desire to have their intimate parts be more attractive for many reasons and they want to know how the procedure is done.
Women want to know “What is the best technique for labiaplasty?”
Here is a link to a labiaplasty video showing how Dr. Ong performs an in-office labiaplasty.
In fact, this is one of the most frequently asked questions in the field of aesthetic female rejuvenation today.
TRIM or WEDGE LABIAPLASTY?
(Image: Female Cosmetic Genital Surgery : Concepts, Classifications and Techniques /edited by Christine Hamori, Paul E Banwell, Red Alinsod)
1. Do I need a trim or wedge labiaplasty?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a trim or wedge labiaplasty?
This question is somewhat synonymous to the question you would ask an artist …
Oil or water color? Which one is better?
There is no one right answer. The answer (as to the answer to many questions in life) is… IT DEPENDS.
UNIQUE TALENT, PERSONAL PREFERENCE, AND RAW MATERIALS
It depends on your unique “taste” or personal preference of the final piece of art and the unique talent of your artist in the technique being used.
What allows artists to create their masterpiece are based on 3 main factors:-
- The tools or raw material presented
- Their experience in the process
- The unique talents of the artist
In labiaplasty this translates to:-
- What your labia (anatomy) looks like (Raw material). Learn about labia anatomy.
- Which technique your surgeon is most proficient in to get you the best results (Talent)
- What are your goals i.e. How would you like your labia to look? (Personal preference)
It also depends the value of the piece of art to the person purchasing it. Most recently, the Salvator Mundi painted by Leonardo Da Vinci sold for $450,312,500 at Christie’s in New York becoming the most expensive painting ever sold at auction.
How did the painting fetch such a high value? There are many reasons in this case, the most obvious is that the artist (Leonardo) is not physically around any longer to paint another one piece just like that.
What value does a labiaplasty mean to you?
Most often these are very personal emotions or reasons. For many women, the reasons are deeper than just the physical appearance of their most intimate anatomy. Regardless of the reasons WHY, lets learn about the techniques.
LINEAR VS WEDGE LABIAPLASTY
Most labiaplasty surgeons use the term Curved Linear resection and Central-V-Wedge resection as the two techniques commonly used instead of trim and wedge. I will refer to these as Linear and Wedge moving forward.
What do we know about the Linear technique?
- The technique centers around removing the edge of the protruding labia
- Has the best blood supply and thus the least risk of wound breakdown
- Is preferred by women who want a more petite look
- Removes the dark edges of the labia
- Can be performed in conjunction with other aspects of a labiaplasty:- the outer labia (majora), and trimming the excess skin around the clitoris (hood reduction)
- Has more flexibility to correct asymmetries between right and left labia
What do we know about the Wedge technique?
- The technique uses a V-shaped ( pie-wedge) incision to reduce the size of the labia
- Maintains the edges of the labia of women wanting a natural contour
- Creates a small horizontal scar and is tailored to reduce the part of labia that is the most enlarged
- Is faster to perform
- Decreased scar sensitivity compared to linear technique
- Can be performed in conjunction with other aspects of a labiaplasty such as a hood reduction with modifications
- Although low, risks of wound healing issues are slightly higher than linear method.
What do the experts in cosmetic gynecology say?
In a survey of plastic surgeons performing labiaplasty; 52.7% perform linear resection , 36.1% perform V-wedge resection. Both techniques are very safe and effective options.
The decision on which is better still relates back to:-
- What your labia (anatomy) looks like.
- Which technique your surgeon is most proficient in to get you the best results.
- What are your goals i.e. How would you like your labia to look.
Since this procedure is “elective” my best advice to anyone seeking labiaplasty is to get the opinion of several surgeons prior to making the best choice for themselves.
You should choose a surgeon who is able to give you the results that are best for you based on your anatomy. You should be comfortable with your team and be able to trust your surgeon with this intimate surgery.
For me personally, I perform both techniques and have very happy patients with either technique. I like to :-
- Discuss desire as well as learn about their reasons for surgery
- Look at their unique anatomy and create a surgical plan that would allow me to create the best outcome for them based on their preferences
The final decision is a collaborative effort and is made based on these two factors. No one is identical but we can create the best plans if we listen carefully and pay attention to the details. The details are what differentiates between an acceptable result and a WOW result.
Learn more about how Dr. Ong can assist you with questions related to labiaplasty in Scottsdale. Call (480) 771-7771.