Everything You Wanted to Know About Healing from Surgery of Your Intimate Parts (Labiaplasty)Leave a Comment »
Labiaplasty continues to be a trend-setting contender in the surgical arena, according to the latest statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. This intimate surgery, done right, can be a very satisfying procedure for women. Labiaplasty helps:
- Improve self-confidence in appearance
- Allow women to perform the activities that they enjoy
- Allow women to wear the clothing that they want
Dr. Ong is proud to provide labiaplasty surgery to patients in Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Mesa AZ and surrounding areas. Call to schedule a consultation today, and read the blog to learn more!
How To Prepare for a Labiaplasty
1) Feel Comfortable that you have Chosen the Right Surgeon for Your Procedure
Choosing the right surgeon to perform your surgery is the first step to success. Choosing an experienced surgeon who can discuss your goals with you and come up with a plan that is aligned with your desire is critical. Heading into a surgical procedure with a calm mind and positive attitude will help with your healing and increase your chances of a successful outcome.
Make sure you ask your surgeon any and all questions that come to your mind during your consultation.
2) Prepare the Essentials that You Need for Surgical After-Care
Being prepared with the essentials for labiaplasty healing prior to the procedure is important. Some of the postoperative care we provide at Ong Institute are:
- ICE/COOL PACKS – These are used early on in the healing period to help reduce swelling, bruising, and pain. Dr. Ong recommends utilizing the ice packs for 15-20 minutes every hour for the first few days after surgery. We find that patients that follow this have less swelling, less pain and heal quicker.
- GROWTH FACTOR CREAM – If resurfacing of the labia is done, the use of topical growth factor creams can aid in healing. Other topical creams, such as peptide and numbing cream, are also used to help with healing and pain. Ask your surgeon if there is an option of injectable growth factors from your blood, platelet-rich-plasma (PRP), to help you heal better. Dr. Ong uses topical creams that contain growth factors and peptides to help enhance the healing process for you. Learn more about out innovative healing protocols.
- EXPAREL – Ask your surgeon if Exparel™, a long-acting numbing local anesthetic that lasts up to 72 hours, can be used during your surgery. This helps reduce early discomfort after surgery.
- SUPPLEMENTS AND MEDICATIONS – Itching is the main concern after the first week. The use of over-the-counter antihistamines, such as Benadryl or natural supplements to reduce the itching, can be very helpful. Topical Benadryl creams can also help. We provide our patients with a customized post-surgical “pack” of essential supplements to help with your healing process. The pack contains natural antihistamines, vitamins and other ingredients that can reduce bruising, swelling and itching.
- STOOL SOFTENERS – Avoid straining after surgery with stool softener use.
- WEAR LOOSE, COMFORTABLE CLOTHING – Wear loose, comfortable pants or clothing after surgery. Tight pants are not advisable.
- PREPARE YOUR HOME AND MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR HELP – Get things arranged around the house so that you can recover. Make arrangements for your children and prepare food in the fridge. Don’t expect to drive for 3-5 days.
3) Don’t be alarmed by the way it looks
Don’t be alarmed by the way the area looks after surgery. After a labiaplasty surgery, your anatomy is going to look really bad! Swelling and bruising can scare anyone. Do not worry, the “Frankenstein vagina” is only temporary. This is the number one worry factor for all patients after this procedure.
4) Follow postoperative instructions and contact your surgeon with any questions
It is important that you follow any postoperative instructions given to you by your surgeon. This includes taking medications as instructed. If you have any questions, reach out to your surgeon, as they will be the best resource to help you after your procedure
Depending on how much surgery was done, healing may be different from one person to another. On average, full healing takes 6 weeks, but most people are back to work or school after 7-10 days.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions regarding the labiaplasty procedure, we will be happy to answer them. Contact our office at (480) 771-7771 today! Proudly serving patients in Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Mesa AZ and surrounding areas.
The comments are closed.